What Is Strabismus?
Strabismus, also known as crossed eyes or walled eyes, is a common eye muscle condition that misaligns the eyes and affects how they work together. Strabismus causes one eye to aim improperly.
When you have strabismus, you can expect to experience:
- Desynchronized eye movement
- Squinting and tilting your head to see clearly
- Trouble navigating through spaces
- Light sensitivity
- Blurred vision
- Double vision
Types of Strabismus
There are several different classifications of strabismus based on the direction of the eye turn:
- Esotropia is when the eye turns inward
- Exotropia is when the eye turns outward
- Hypertropia is when the eye turns upward
- Hypotropia is when the eye turns downward